The most wanted and hardest to find job skills are… <fill in the blank>.
Catchy title yes? YES. So catchy in fact that Bloomberg Business wrote an entire article (complete with awesome infographics) to delineate which skills are most sought after and are NOT being found. In other words… what job skills YOU NEED TO HAVE TO STAND ABOVE THE COMPETITION.
Guess what was on that list? Go on. Guess. We’ll wait.
If you guessed Communication Skills… you’re a winner! If you realise that a very large portion of Communication Skills in the workplace is Public Speaking then you’re a double winner!!!
Perhaps the most important skill for the career minded is to develop is his/her communication/public speaking skills. Executives spend millions of dollars every year going to public speaking workshops; hiring public speaking coaches; and buying public speaking books and CD’s. Every public speaking opportunity is an opportunity to grow your leadership, your influence and your career.
Public speaking makes you more visible and more memorable.
- A person that is willing to step forward and speak will have a more recognised voice. When an interviewer sees that you have experience standing up in front of 20, 40, or 400 people to give a speech, they will turn to you as the leader and spokesperson
- The more people see that your face has stood in front of the crowd it will naturally make you a more desirable candidate. People will remember you and begin to see you with authority, putting you center stage with the new pitch or new client. You begin to appear as the spokesperson in your community of business professionals, being looked to as a leader.
- Your name comes up more and more when other companies are looking for new team members or to spearhead new opportunities. Inspiring public speaking allows to you to be more visible, thereby making you the “go-to” guy or gal.
- If you’ve managed to represent your prior organizations as powerful in your public speaking you will be seen as more trustworthy, that you won’t drop the ball when the pressure is on. More opportunities will come to you as a result.
Public speaking is leadership and organisations promote people with leadership qualities.
- In standing up and speaking in a way that is powerful, you’re speaking in a way that will change peoples minds about something. If you’re able to master that skill, changing hearts and minds and learning how to persuade, you will be already honing one of the major aspects of leadership.
- If you’re able to do it in public to a group of people, chances are you’ll be able to do it in a more individualized setting. Leaders require the capacity to drive change, public speaking skills are vital in learning that ability.
Public speaking helps you connect with people… if you do it with empathy!
- People “buy” people. As an inspiring speaker you will learn how to be passionate in the right moments and vulnerable in the right moments. People will be able to relate to you more as a human being. Public speaking can definitely serve you in your career by promoting more alliances, liking and trusting you more as they see you being empathetic.
- If you speak in a way that is honest, public speaking can make you the ‘people’s champion’ in your organisation. Connect with your personal stories, share who you are and you’ll be amazed at how your audience will connect with you.
- Read more about empathy: Part 1, Part 2, AND Part 3. (yes… it’s THAT important.)
More information on how to speak to inspire?
To learn how to inspire your organisation, we have an incredible programme for you… The Inspiring Speakers Programme. A 6-month intensive public speaking programme like you’ve never seen before. Join a crack-team of just 10 individuals, to receive training, coaching, feedback and practical support from public speaking expert Sarah Lloyd-Hughes of Ginger Training & Coaching. Find your message and unleash it on the world.
If you’re eager to become a more inspiring speaker and keep your body in check, Ginger has a multitude of courses just right for you! From freebies to e-courses, books to workshops, jump in to Ginger. Click here for a full list of Ginger courses and resources.
Did you love this article?
Pass on the Gingery Goodness by clicking the links below to share – tweet – like – pin.
To learn how to inspire and rocket your career to a new level, we have an incredible programme for you… The Inspiring Speakers Programme. A 6-month intensive public speaking programme like you’ve never seen before. Join a crack-team of just 10 individuals, to receive training, coaching, feedback and practical support from public speaking expert Sarah Lloyd-Hughes of Ginger Training & Coaching. Find your message and unleash it on the world.